Sending a homemade card in the mail is a wonderful way to let your friends and loved ones know that you’re thinking of them.
Read on to discover 3 unique techniques that you can use to add extra personalized touches to your beautiful homemade cards.
Technique 1: Secret Message Scratch and Reveal
What you’ll need:
- Construction paper
- Crayons, markers, or colored pencils
- Clear packaging tape
- Acrylic paint
- Liquid dish soap
- Small paper cup or something to hold paint
- A table covering to protect your workstation
- Fold a piece of construction paper in half to create a card, then draw a simple shape on the front or inside. Write or draw a special message inside the shape. This could be an answer to a riddle or joke, positive words, or a picture.
- Next, cover the shape with clear packaging tape. It’s perfectly fine if tape also covers the area around your shape as well, no need for precision!
- Now, mix equal parts acrylic paint and liquid dish soap in a small paper cup.
- Use a paintbrush to carefully fill in the shape and cover your hidden message, this may require two to three layers. Let the paint dry completely between layers.
- When the paint is completely dry and has set for at least an hour, it is ready to be delivered! Make sure the recipient has something to scratch the paint off revealing your secret message!