- Tuesday 10 am to 7 pm
- Wednesday 10 am to 5 pm
- Thursday 10 am to 5 pm
- Friday 10 am to 5 pm
- Saturday 10 am to 5 pm
The health and safety of the community is our highest priority. View our Operation Modifications below.
Reservations are encouraged, but not required. Walk-ins admitted as space allows. At times we may need to put families who arrive on-site on a waiting list. If that happens we do our best to accommodate them as other families leave.
In the event of inclement weather, closure information will be posted on our website and social media channels.
Admission & Reservations
Admission $9.50 for those age 1 and up.
To guarantee your playtime, reserve your space online or call 605-692-6700 to order over the phone. Walk-ins will be admitted as space allows.
In an effort to offer as many play sessions as possible, tickets are available in the morning and the afternoon. While specific times are noted, guests are not required to enter and leave on time. Walk-ins will be admitted as space allows and at times we may need to have a wait list. We are so excited to invite you back to play!
- Members: Be sure to create an account in Altru using your email address on file to receive your free admission.
- Reciprocal Members: To use a reciprocal membership from another qualifying museum valid for 50% off admission for up to 6 people, use code ACM. When you arrive, show your qualifying membership card with your ticket receipt.
- Access Admission: To reserve admission at the Access Admission rate, use code access1. When you arrive, show your EBT card (or other public assistance documentation) and a form of ID along with your ticket receipt.
Tickets are transferable but not refundable. To transfer your ticket call 605-692-6700 prior to your scheduled session.
The health and safety of the community is our highest priority. Thank you for being a partner in our wellness efforts.
We ask that you do not visit if anyone in your family or group is not feeling well. Following is our operation modifications designed to keep our space as safe as possible:
- Face coverings: Face coverings are recommended in our public indoor setting. Our staff will continue to wear face coverings indoors. Please check our calendar for special scheduled Superhero Playtimes where masks are required for everyone age 2+.
- Air quality: Ionization units have been installed throughout the building to clean and disinfect air through needlepoint bipolar ionization.
- Limited capacity: Reservations are recommended and will be made available 2 weeks in advance. To guarantee your playtime, reserve your space online or call 605-692-6700 to order over the phone. Walk-ins will be admitted as space allows. If you need to change a reservation, call 605-692-6700 or email email@example.com
- Physical distancing: Reminder signage to maintain a physical distance of 6 feet from others not in your family or group.
- Sanitizer stations: Sanitizer stations will be made available throughout the Museum.
- Safety features: Plexiglass screens have been installed at our Welcome Desk and Café point of sale.
- Health screenings: Employees and volunteers will undergo a health screening when reporting for shifts.
- Loose parts/toys that travel: The number of loose parts and toys on the Museum prairie has been reduced and our Museum team is trained to remove and sanitize props and loose parts that may need attention throughout the day.
- Cleaning protocols: The Museum and Café have increased the frequency of the already robust cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting practices.
We will continue to closely monitor developments related to the pandemic following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the World Health Organization (WHO), the South Dakota Department of Health, and the city of Brookings and make adjustments to our operations as needed. Thank you for your patience and understanding and for helping to keep our community safe!
Directions & Parking
We are located in the heart of Brookings’ downtown historic district at 521 4th Street. Get directions to the Museum.
Free parking is available across the street from the Museum entrance. Street parking is available along Fifth Avenue and Fifth Street (north of the Museum).
Café Coteau, featuring breakfast, lunch, and SDSU ice cream, has limited seating indoors and outdoors. The Café is open to the public. Museum admission is not required.
For unique, creative, and educational toys and books, stop by our Museum gift shop Play Central Toys & Books. It is open to the public.
We have a few exhibits that involve water and splashing, bring an extra set of dry clothes.
- A variety of items for guests with sensory processing concerns are available for checkout from the Welcome Desk. Items will be sanitized and disinfected after use. The Adaptive Equipment Toolbox includes:
- Noise-reducing headphones
- Universal cuffs
- Transition timers
- Picture cards with a map
- Wrist/ankle weights
- Sensory vest
- Fidget items
- Sensory brushes
Wheelchair-accessible restrooms, as well as a family room, are located across from the Welcome Desk on the first floor.
Nursing Family Lounge
The Museum is a breastfeeding-friendly business committed to providing a welcoming environment where mothers can sit anywhere in the Museum and Cafe to feed. A private Nursing Family Lounge is also available on site. See the Welcome Desk for assistance.
What else is there to do near Brookings?
Looking to spend more time in the area? Check out our nearby attractions!