Building an Indoor Fort
What You’ll Need:
- Cardboard Boxes
- Sofa Cushions
- Children’s Flashlights
Collect supplies and select a spot to build your indoor fort near a sofa, bed, or table.
What to Do:
- Clear an area around a sofa, bed, or table.
- Prop sturdy sofa cushions near the sofa or bed to form the walls of the fort. Use chairs, if necessary, to prop up the cushions.
- Build the roof by draping sheets over the walls.
- Put a smaller pillow on the floor between two upright sofa cushions to construct a window.
- Create a door with the simple and elegant drape of a sheet or blanket. Or build a tunnel entrance by tilting cushions together.
- Use cushions, blankets and cardboard boxes to make furniture.
Ideas for More:
- Use a noisemaker for a doorbell.
- Drape a sheet or blanket over a couch, table, bunk bed, or pool table.
- Put some secret treasures inside the fort.
- Create a phone with string and cans.
- Find a rug for a welcome mat.
- Furnish the fort with pillows or small rugs.
- If a cardboard box is used, indoor pictures could be drawn on the cardboard walls to decorate.
- Add a radio or iPod for music.
Length of Activity:
Set Up – 5 minutes if supplies are readily available
Assembling the Fort – 5 to 15 minutes