Outdoor Prairie Now Open
We are excited to announce that the Children’s Museum of South Dakota will be reopening the outdoor exhibit spaces mid-July!
Timed Ticketing and Reservations
- Admission for outdoor sessions is at a reduced price of $5 per person age 1 and up
- To guarantee your playtime, make a reservation. Walk-ins will be admitted as space allows.
- Learn more about reserving your playtime on our Planning Tips + Info page.
- Reserve Private Playtime
Outdoor Prairie Play
Play along on the outdoor prairie. Experience our pond and stream, visit Mama T. Rex and her son Max, play in Tangle Town, and take part in pop-up play offerings. For now, the indoor exhibits will remain closed.
The health and safety of the community is our highest priority.
- Limited capacity and timed entry: We have limited attendance to 25% of capacity and have adjusted hours to ensure additional time for deep cleaning throughout the day.
- Physical distancing: Reminder signage to maintain a physical distance of 6 feet from others not in your family or group.
- Face coverings for children and adults: Following guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and American Academy of Pediatrics, staff and visitors ages 2+ must wear a face covering that covers the nose and mouth in the Museum exhibit spaces, including the outdoor space and communal areas. This requirement does not apply to individuals who are unable to wear a face covering due to a medical condition.
- Wash hands upon entry and increased sanitizer stations: Guests will be asked to wash their hands or use sanitzer upon entry. Do not visit if anyone in your family or group is not feeling well.
- Safety features: Plexiglass screens have been installed at our Welcome Desk and Café point of sale.
- Health screenings: Employees and volunteers will undergo a health screening when reporting for shifts.
- Loose parts/toys that travel: The number of loose parts and toys on the Museum prairie has been reduced and our Museum team is trained to remove and sanitize props and loose parts that may need attention throughout the day.
- Cleaning protocols: The Museum and Cafe have increased the frequency of the already robust cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting practices. Timed ticket procedures offer additional times for deep cleaning each day.
- Cafe and gift shop: Café Coteau and the gift shop will be open for admitted guests only at limited capacity.
We will continue to closely monitor developments related to the pandemic following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO), the South Dakota Department of Health, and the city of Brookings and make adjustments to our operations as needed. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Museum Memberships Extended
We have extended Museum memberships to reflect the length of Museum closure so members are able to reserve playtime online at no cost. Once the full Museum is open, an additional membership extension will also take place. Be sure to create an account in Altru using your email address on file to receive your free admission.
If you choose, you can honor your existing membership expiration date to support the Museum. Contact Mari, our membership coordinator, at email@example.com.
Thank you for being a member and choosing to support the Power of Play! If you would like to further support our work to spark imagination and learning, make a donation on our website.
Virtual Play Options Continue
We will continue to spark imagination by offering ways to Play Along at Home. Please reach out if there is a way we can support you and the children in your life. We are here for you!
Resources for Children and Families
Following are a few resources to help talk with children about the coronavirus: