STEM Activity and Story Companion:
Stars are like millions of nighty-lights up in the night sky, there to make the VERY DARK DARK seem less scary. Make your own stars to shine in the dark with this fun STEM activity!
- Cardboard or black construction paper
- Marker, any color
- Toothpick, push pin, or similar object
- Toilet paper tube
Let’s Get Started!
- Place one end of a paper tube on a piece of cardboard or black construction paper, trace around it with a marker. Then cut around your tracing.
- Use your marker to sketch stars (or any design that you would like) onto the circular piece of cardboard or paper.
- Use a toothpick, push pin, or similar object to punch holes along your design.
- Secure the cardboard or paper piece to one end of a paper tube with tape.
Time to test! In a dimly lit room, shine a light through the other end of the tube and direct it towards the wall, you should see your design projected onto it! Wow!
About the Book
“Tiny T. Rex and the Very Dark Dark” By Jonathan Stutzman and illustrated by Jay Fleck
Excerpt from inner cover: “Tiny T-Rex and his friend Pointy are worried. Without their nighty-lights, the dark outside suddenly seems VERY dark … and full of spooky things. Good thing Tiny has a super-secret plan to keep the dark at bay!”
Find this book and other fun dinosaur titles in our gift shop, Play Central Toys & Books.