Status: Part-Time; 20-30 hours/week– Flexible to fit internship requirements
Reports to: Director of Education
In alignment with CMSD’s mission, vision, and values, the Museum Studies Intern will have the opportunity to put classroom knowledge to use while working with a creative team in a non-profit organization that fosters hands-on, inquiry-based learning.
The internship will provide exposure in multiple areas of the children’s museum including operations, guest services, exhibits, marketing, programming, and event planning. Specific functions include:
- Gaining insight into the operations of a children’s museum
- Interacting with guests on the museum floor
- Maintaining a clean and safe environment
- Assisting in the implementation of special events
- Assisting with scheduled programming activities
- Gaining exposure to educational planning and programming including museum research and evaluative functions
- Gaining exposure to exhibit maintenance, design, and fabrication
- Student currently attending college or graduate school in a related field of study
- Recognizes that children naturally learn through play
- Views children as capable and competent
- Communicates effectively and interacts genuinely with people of all backgrounds and abilities
- Shows initiative and is able to meet deadlines with attention to details
- Works independently or cooperatively as a team
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced, high traffic, public environment
- Understands and shows commitment to the mission, vision, and values of CMSD
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter, resume, three professional references and availability to:
Children’s Museum of South Dakota
Attn: Carrie Benson, Director of Education
521 4th Street
Brookings, SD 57006
For Fall Internship: Apply by May 1st for full consideration.
For Spring Internship: Apply by October 1st for full consideration.
For Summer Internship: Apply by March 1st for full consideration.