Reports to: Executive Director
In alignment with the Museum’s mission, vision, values, and strategic plan, the Director of Guest Experience is responsible for overseeing the effectiveness, efficiency, and success in delivering quality visitor experiences on the Museum floor. All employees of the Children’s Museum of South Dakota are responsible for supporting the goal to become a recognized leader in the children’s museum industry.
Essential Functions: The Director of Guest Experience responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide general oversight in day-to-day operations on the Museum floor including welcome desk, museum membership sales, volunteer program, and group sales.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and engage a highly-skilled, well-qualified, and diverse team that possesses a strong passion for the Museum’s mission and belief in learning through play.
- Analyze and assess visitor trends, comments, questions, and concerns using museum database and visitor/employee input. Provide effective communication to support guests/employees. Leverage information to inform museum best practices and strategic direction.
- Oversee all aspects of the museum gift shop including vendor relationships, inventory, sales, marketing, and merchandising.
- Collaborate effectively with all areas of the museum including operations, programming, exhibits, maintenance, marketing, and café.
- Effectively represent the museum in both written and spoken communication.
- Provide operational and board reporting as requested in a timely manner.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required
- Two years of experience managing guest services/relations at a comparable institution
- Proven ability to build and lead successful teams using a collaborative leadership style
- Well developed interpersonal skills and ability to establish rapport with diverse families, staff, community stakeholders, and partners. Sensitive in working with people of different backgrounds, abilities, and life experiences
- Proven ability to lead in a fast-paced, high traffic, public environment (museums, hospitality, attractions, or cultural institutions preferred)
- Readiness to respond effectively to guests needs/ emergency situations in a calm and comforting manner
- Works independently or cooperatively as a team
- Shows initiative and the ability to meet deadlines with attention to details
- Exhibits organizational, collaborative and problem-solving skills
- Strong organization skills and proficient use of Microsoft Office tools and point of sale programs (Altru / Blackbaud)
- Shows passion for and commitment to the mission, vision, and values of the Children’s Museum of South Dakota
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to:
Children’s Museum of South Dakota / Attn: Kate Treiber, 521 4th Street, Brookings, SD 57006 / firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is open until filled. EOE
CMSD is committed to a diverse workplace and offers a competitive wage as well as health benefits, 401 (k) profit-sharing, and paid time off.