Status: Full time, exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Mission: The Children’s Museum of South Dakota sparks imagination and learning for all children and their grown-ups through play, creativity, and discovery.
Vision: CMSD seeks to transform the world by inspiring generations to love learning and to believe that life is full of possibilities.
In alignment with the Museum’s mission, vision, values, and strategic plan, the Café Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the operation of Café Coteau and catering events. All employees of CMSD are responsible for supporting CMSD’s goal to become a recognized leader in the children’s museum industry.
Essential Functions: The Café Manager’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee all café operations including menu creation, preparation of food, cooking, serving, inventory, and supplies
- Train, supervise, engage, and schedule a highly skilled and motivated café team to ensure high-quality work and excellent customer service
- Ability to create and inspire menu options with a fresh and local focus
- Oversee café guest engagement and gather feedback to determine satisfaction and ensure a pleasant experience
- Develop effective relationships with both local and national vendors to ensure quality control and unique variety that includes sensitivity to dietary needs of guests
- Oversee all financial aspects including budgeting, accounts payable, cost of goods purchased, and menu pricing
- Follow appropriate cash handling and management procedures including closing drawers, making deposits, and financial reporting
- Maintain a clean and aesthetically pleasing café environment and ensure all cooking, food storage, and food preparation areas are compliant with required sanitation and health regulations
- Oversee documentation to ensure food safety requirements
- Oversee all catering functions including prompt communication of inquiries, development of catering menu, pricing, and design presentation for events
- Develop and maintain effective interpersonal working relationships to ensure the ability to work cohesively with a cross-functional team.
- Serve on the Leadership Team of the Children’s Museum of South Dakota
- As necessary, respond to on-call and emergency situations and other duties as assigned
- Formal training in food service (ServSafe) and hospitality required
- 3 years of experience in food service management, hospitality, or a related field
- Proven ability to lead collaboratively in a fast-paced, high-traffic, public environment (food service, hospitality, attraction, or cultural institution preferred)
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to establish rapport with diverse families, staff members, volunteers, vendors, and community members. Sensitive to working with people of different background, ability, and life experience
- Exhibits strong organizational and problem-solving skills and is proficient in the use of Microsoft Office tools and point-of-sale programs (Toast)
- Ability to show creativity, take initiative, and meet deadlines with attention to details
- Shows passion and commitment to the mission, vision, and values of CMSD
- Able to perform physical activities that require the whole body, such as lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials
Benefits and Work Environment:
CMSD provides a competitive wage and comprehensive benefit package for full-time employees including 401(k)/matching, health, dental, and vision insurance options including a health savings account. The Museum also offers paid holidays and paid time off (PTO).
Mostly daytime hours with possible evenings based on event and catering needs.
Additional benefits include an Association of Children’s Museums (ACM) Reciprocal Membership, gift shop and Café Coteau discount, professional development, and a playful environment. CMSD is committed to a diverse workplace.
About Café Coteau and Brookings, SD:
Café Coteau is a fast-casual restaurant with counter service serving breakfast, lunch, and snack items with a fresh and local focus. It is located in the beautiful, light- and flower-filled atrium of the Children’s Museum of South Dakota and serves children and families who come to play as well as members of the Brookings, South Dakota, community.
Brookings is home to 25,000 residents and is located 50 miles north of Sioux Falls, SD, on I-29. Brookings was ranked #5 nationwide in Livability’s Best Small Towns. It also scored 100% in the Municipal Equality Index Human Rights Score.
Brookings has many attractions and cultural amenities including the South Dakota Art Museum, McCrory Gardens, Dakota Nature Park, South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum, Outdoor Adventure Center, and two performing arts/events centers for live performances, and is home to South Dakota State University, a premier land grant university.
The Brookings Public School District educates nearly 3,500 students from early childhood to 12th grade. Brookings has been listed as an ideal community for families, students, young professionals, and retirees.
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter, resume or list of relevant job experience, and three professional references to:
Children’s Museum of South Dakota
Attn: Kate Treiber
521 4th Street
Brookings, SD 57006
This position is open until filled. EOE