The purpose of our museum is to promote learning for children of all ages and abilities through interactive, informal, hands-on exhibits and demonstrations.
The museum is a welcoming, fun and entertaining environment which helps spark learning through imagination, creativity, and discovery. Exhibits, both inside and outside, are broad-based to include subjects in science, engineering, art, literature, culture, geography, and history. The Children’s Museum of South Dakota is a place that relates to its region, its community, its children, and their learning wants and needs. It is a place where children and adults learn through play.
Above all else, the Board Members of the Children’s Museum of South Dakota share a common passion and interest in giving children the best opportunities for success in life. It’s this idea that steers the development of the museum’s exhibits, programming, and priorities.
- Playing as a way to learn
- Enhancing a love of nature
- Building stewardship of the environment
- Facilitating play between children and adults
- Learning about the people, the community, and the cultures of the region and of the world
- Fostering family relationships through enjoyment and play
- Fostering creativity and expression
- A devotion to children’s education
- Being open-minded, creative and curious
- A passion for lifelong learning
- Giving back to the community
- Appreciation for diverse perspectives
- Inclusion for all