Make It Unforgettable!
Book Your Event at the Children's Museum of South Dakota
The Children’s Museum of South Dakota offers an engaging space for every occasion and celebration.
- Business Meetings
- Birthday Parties
- Baby Showers
- Family Reunions
- Holiday Parties
- Wedding Receptions
Come and celebrate with us! Both adults and children will delight in the seven galleries packed with interactive activities. We have lots of ideas for planning a unique fun-filled birthday with themes for every interest and every age – even grandparents! Go to Birthday Parties to learn more.
Or if you just want to get down to business, we can help with that too. We have a variety of rooms suitable for corporate meetings, seminars and workshops Facility Rentals.
We can accommodate groups of 20 or 2000. Whether you wish to book a room or the entire museum, we’ll help you create a memorable event!
Planning a birthday party at the Children’s Museum of South Dakota is a piece of cake! We do all the prep work, set-up and clean-up so all you have to do is enjoy the party.
Birthday Parties include:
- 1.5 hours in the museum party room
- Museum admission for up to 20 guests (including adult chaperons)
- Birthday cake, refreshments and tableware
- Staff member to guide themed activities
- Playtime in the museum with a ratio of 1 adult for every 5 children
Pricing: $200 for members; $250 for non-members
Decorations: We supply decorations for each room. For safety and allergy precautions, latex balloons, piñatas, and confetti are not used. To protect our museum no other decorations may be attached to the walls or other museum fixtures. However, mylar balloons may be added by the family members.
Party Themes: Choose from one of many birthday party themes for kids of all ages, even grandparents.
Birthday Party Policy
- Accompanying adults are responsible for children at all times.
- We require a ratio of 1 adult for every 5 children to play in the museum. Failure to provide the required number of adults will eliminate play time in the museum from your party package.
- The museum is a smoke free campus.
- No decorations attached to walls or other museum fixtures.
- Catering is available only through Café Coteau, outside catering not allowed. More information available upon request. Catering request do at least two weeks prior to party.
- Advance down payment of $100 is required to hold reservations. Deposits may be dropped off at our admissions desk during museum hours, or checks may be mailed to: The Children’s Museum of South Dakota, 521 4th Street, Brookings, SD 57006, Attention: Educator.
- Alcohol is not permitted during regular museum hours.*
*Alcohol may be served on the premises for certain after-hours events such as wedding receptions and holiday parties. For guidelines, please contact our Director of Guest Services.
Book Your Party
Call the CMSD Educator at (605) 692-6700 ext. 236 to reserve a date. All dates, times, and packages are subject to availability. We offer two options for party payment:
- Pay the full package price upon booking your party. We accept MasterCard, Visa, check, or cash.
- Pay a $100 deposit upon booking with the remainder due the day of the party.
With either option, payment of $6 for each extra guest is due upon arrival on the day of the party.
You may also request your party date online. Go to Book Your Event and submit the form. This does not guarantee your reservation. Our Educator will contact you within 48 hours to make a party reservation.
$100 of your full party payment is a non-refundable, non-transferable deposit/processing fee. The remainder of your party payment is refundable if we are given a minimum of two weeks full notice. If cancellation is done within two weeks of the party date, no refunds are given due to the loss of another booking during your chosen slot. Should you need to reschedule within two weeks prior to the scheduled date there is a $50 charge for rescheduling the date or time of your party.
Forms of Payment
We accept MasterCard, Visa, check, money order or cash. Deposits may be paid over the phone or dropped off at our admissions desk during museum hours, or send a check payable to: The Children’s Museum of South Dakota, 521 4th Street, Brookings, SD 57006, Attention: Educator.
Personal checks will not be accepted for any payment on the day of your party. MasterCard, Visa, money order or cash will be accepted.
In Case of Bad Weather
If the Children’s Museum of South Dakota is closed due to inclement weather, we will notify the party host by telephone the morning of your party and will refer you to the Educator for refunds or rescheduling. If we are open and you prefer not to have your party, we will do our best to reschedule, but no refunds will be given.
Located on the second floor, the Community Room provides a tranquil setting for private business meetings and events. Offering the latest technology, this room is designed for sophisticated tastes. The Community Room can accommodate up to 72 people with round table seating or up to 100 people with classroom seating. Amenities include:
- Integrated sound system
- Integrated audio conferencing
- VCR/DVD unit
- Laptop interface
- Access to facility broadcast signal
- Ceiling mounted projector and motorized screen
- Adjacent prep room for caterer
- Two adjacent exterior balconies
Art Studio/Program Rooms/Traveling Exhibit Gallery
The museum’s art studio is an ideal location for seminars and workshops. The art studio can accommodate up to 60 people while the two program rooms each provide space for up to 25 people.
The museum also houses a traveling exhibit gallery with 11,000 square feet of open space.
The Museum’s Pavilion is the perfect setting for receptions and gatherings. The Pavilion can host a dinner for up to 130 people or provide a unique gathering space for a group of 230. The exterior deck provides room for an additional 50 people with round table seating or 100+ with cocktail tables.
Book Your Event
Whether you are hosting a company meeting, a small workshop, or a large reception, the Children’s Museum of South Dakota has the space for you. Rent the entire museum and your guests will have access to a beautifully landscaped outdoor area and seven galleries of interactive fun.
For more information on catering options, reservations and our facility rental guidelines, please contact the Director of Guest Services at (605) 692-6700.
You may also request your event date online. Go to Book Your Event and submit the form. This does not guarantee your reservation. Our Director of Guest Services will contact you within 48 hours to confirm a reservation.